Unique Warmoth Custom J Bass
This is a very unique J Bass. If you have never heard of them, Warmoth is the ONLY Fender-licensed J-Bass manufacturer, all of their bodies and necks are to spec.
* The body is mahogany, and I stained it with a deeper gel stain and used a satin finish to preserve the pores in the wood grain, it looks very natural.
* The neck is solid wenge, and is very dense and warm. There is no finish on the neck (it isn’t recommended for this kind of wood). It is J-Bass width at the nut (narrower than P-Bass).
* Unique Warmoth Custom J Bass
The fret board is solid ebony with no markers, and 6105 stainless steel frets with a graphite nut cut for heavy gauge strings.
* Here’s the best part: dual Music Man 4.2 pickups! The sound out of these is AMAZING.
* It is passively wired. Each knob controls the volume of the pickup, that’s it. I do all of my EQ at the head, I was never a fan of built-in preamps.
* Machine heads are Schaller, so is the bridge.
Because of the heavy body and neck, the bass weights 11 lbs, so it is a fat, warm sound. With lighter gauge strings, it can also be very funk-punchy. The mass of the bass and the pickups provide a huge range of tones and timbres.
It has hardly been used. I built it in the summer of 2009, played until October, and then it sat in the closet since then. I just don’t have the time anymore.